I resoluted 12 photo entries – so what was memorable through the first 31 days of the new year?
• I started off the year making popovers.
Though technically I started NYE, it ran that long since the recipe made nearly twice as many as it claimed, and they take about an hour each batch! No worries, they were eaten throughout the night with butter, salt and washed down with champagne.
• I didn’t take pictures of the snow, since I am sure you have no interest in seeing any more.
However, my new boots, which I had just ordered from LL bean hours before they completely sold out (really, I checked back later, no sizes left!) and which arrived before Christmas, made their debut in the early January snowstorm. They have performed perfectly well since then and absolutely worth the investment, as I plod through slushy curbsides and subway platforms.
• Pizza at Lombardis with a friend who came to NYC for a workation.
• Gussie the cat found a blue string that has become her most favorite thing ever. Watching her play with it has become my most favorite thing ever.
• I found this brilliant red wine, recommended by my preferred wine shop just a few blocks from my job (they know how to interpret my gibberish).
It goes for around $16. Not too dry or fruity, with a deep red color. It is full bodied and ‘meaty’ as the label claimed (no overt berry or other flavors, which was ok) with a quick clean finish, no lingering tannins. It went perfect with pasta, savory sauce, meatballs and fried eggplant. I get a lot of flack for my red wine choices, but everyone loved the ‘simple’ fullness of each glass.
Already looking for, and making, the moments in February!