|Ms Mel and ODNT know there is strength in numbers – so write a numbered list this month and they will link YOU up! You have 10 minutes – or as much as you need before June 30th!|
When looking for wise words and quotes that will get you through each day, or make you smarty-pants level, you should forget world leaders, activists, poets, and definitely forget anything a celebrity says, or a Facebook meme.
That’s what TV is for and about!
In keeping with the June by Numbers prompt, I took a few shows and quotes that I manage to work into everyday conversation. Chatting with me is a unique experience indeed.
This is just a small sampling. Seriously, I can go all night (That’s what she said), and with that…we begin!
1. The Simpsons. Though I no longer watch new episodes, the early seasons of the show were a gold mine of quotes, and were perfect for the immature teenage/young adult years that I have recently outgrown (that’s a lie, I still use these daily).
“Worst episode ever!”– ‘Episode’ can be substituted with any verb, noun or situation, ever.
What he meant was, Monster Island is actually a peninsula. Best used when someone misunderstands some fact or situation.
Boo-urns. Anytime something is boo- worthy.
D’oh! Need I say more?
2. Family Guy. Another Fox show, Family Guy debuted within reach of the new millenium, was cancelled, then came back bigger than ever a couple years later. It pushed the envelope, and though it is the norm these days, crass un-pc humor is still abound here.
“Vile Woman!” & “Victory is mine!” – Pretty dated at this point, but they served their purposes well.
“Buzz Killington” – Refer to any person who kills the good mood/vibe, as such, or just the situation at hand, as if he had recently been around.
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Sure there are quote from Life of Brian, and the Meaning of Life, but HG is a goldmine of catchphrases. As someone who has pretty much memorized the entire film, including the opening credits, there are just too many to get into at this point.
From migrating coconuts, killer rabbits, French insults and questioning the ruling of kingdoms, yeah there’s just too much. I don’t even know that I fit the quotes into everyday life. That’s a lie, I know exactly how.
“I got better!”. Glad to hear it!
“You tit/silly sod! I fart in your general direction!” are fitting insults for the idiocy/rudeness of others.
If someone asks if you need anything, “Another shrubbery! And place it a little higher for the two level effect and a little path” is a good response. (Keep in mind that you will not really get past the first sentence if they have no idea what you just referred to. If they do get it, the second sentence will elicit even more laughs – if THEY say the next sentence, let them, and bask in your new friendship).
“There are some that call me…Tim?” I use my own name in place when introducing myself (note to self, not at interviews!) But I would sit around with friends and quote randomly, laughing like nerds in our own genre
I should add that I have not one, not two, but three shorts that make references to the film, mashed up with other themes. Can you figure them out?
4. Star Wars .
Any place that looks sketchy gets the “you’ll never mind a more wretched hive of scum and villany” treatment.
“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.” Again substitute ‘droids’ for the object of your choosing.
“She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts.” – Never refer to a woman in this way. That’s not what you want your last breathing words on Earth to be.
“I am wondering…why are you here”. Any/everyone who comes to your desk or office. Especially company Presidents. Or security, even though you fully know they are there to escort you off the premises. Leave ’em laughin’!
“Use the Force”. Hey it might help!
“Scruffy Nerfherder!” Yeah that’s right, I went there. Want some lotion for that burn?! As a reply to someone who gave you ‘french’ insults from Monty Python, you might not actually be arguing, rather doing a nerdy mashup worthy of a teefury shirt.
5. Regular Show – I have just started getting into this show, but already I am hooked. Yes I know you have liked it for longer than I have.
“Free cake!” is a great quote to celebrate by. Even if there is no cake around, you never know, some might appear. If you use the Force.
6. Archer . A newer FX/Netflix instant show with plenty of cursing, crass humor and drinking.
“Into the Danger Zone!” A ‘suffix’ for any (in your opinion) extreme activity coming up.
“This is how you get ants!” Referred to any messes (even non-food items) that are around.
That’s all I can fit into past 10 minutes – what are some of your TV/movie quotes?